This blog is a part of the Occupational Therapy paper Participation in Occupation One. The blog focuses on people’s participation in meaningful occupation. It will explore different technologies and the engagement in occupation of people who have occupational needs. It will consider how technology can be used to enhance therapy services for a client.

Thursday 17 May 2012

Video production session

Autism is topic within the Occupational Therapy practise area and is a topic of interest for me. I had a placement at a mainstream school, in a class of 28. One child in the class had Autism and I worked closely with him. While working with him, I found it so interesting. It changed my outlook on life, and definitely improved my patience. I am really looking forward to working with children with Autism in my fieldwork three placement. I have chosen five videos about Autism that I found very interesting. I chose 4 very different videos so that those reading could expand their knowledge base about Autism and gain a better understanding, and one that was a response to their previous video thanking all that supported them. These videos help explain, demonstrate and provide personal experience of Autism. 


This first video I found was just titled Autism, but is done by a man who has a youtube channel "". His nephew Jason has autism, and he would like to create a better awareness around it, therefore creating less stigma.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL5GHMEjzt8


The second video I found, is a parents attempt at looking at their daughter's autism, through their daughters eyes. They imply that Madison gained autism after receiving her MMR shots as a baby. Her life changes dramatically, also affecting their family.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ze_Hlkz8dDs&feature=endscreen


This third video is an Occupational therapist working with a Grandmother and her Grandson that has autism. Her focus of the therapy session is on play and it shows a lot of good tips that I will attempt in later placements or in the workplace.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-c50HNnPg0


This forth video was extremely moving. I was crying from almost the beginning. It is a fathers point of view, explaining about his daughter's autism, the therapy she goes through, and the battles he has with insurance and health care systems in America.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2B1FeS5VX4


This fifth video is a response from the same father as the video above, this time with his daughter also in it. He tries to make a thank you video but even this simple task takes 2 minutes and 55 seconds to complete. 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=hj2Kt7ptEDw&feature=endscreen 

No comments:

Post a Comment